If you use one of our portfolio or enterprise packages you will see a number of changes in the portfolio level menus and features. All ticket users will see some upgrades to milestones. Please feel free to contact us if you have questions. For more control over these upgrades, please contact us in advance to become part of our customer advisory group. Send your comments, questions, and call requests to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Why?Our bigger customers often manage a list of what we now call “Fast IT” projects: websites, mobile apps, digital marketing, and SaaS related projects. They want a "system of record" where they can keep all of these assets together for future maintenance and improvement. We also found that they were using creative techniques to track the commitments they have made for delivering upgrades. Because Assembla was initially designed for a continuous agile process, we were not effectively helping them to deliver on the specific dates that they committed to. We intend to help them with new features for planning and tracking deliverables.
DETAILS OF THE PLANNED UPGRADES
Project Portfolio Management
Support a large number of teams, spaces and deliverables, without losing anything:
- Dashboard overview of spaces, users, and upcoming deliverables
- Better way to group spaces for reporting. Replace the old “groups” system with tags so you can easily tag a space by client, business, type, etc.
- Streamlined process for creating spaces
- A simple way to add and maintain custom space configurations (template spaces)
- Better workflow for moving spaces to and from archived status.
- Workflow for reporting on status and needs from the project manager to the portfolio manager.
- New summary report tab on spaces.
- Improved API for external reporting
- Rename “Projects” to “Spaces”: We found that when our customers use the word “project” they are often not referring to a single Workspace. Usually they mean deliverables, which they show as specific milestones inside a space. Sometimes they are speaking of large projects that span multiple spaces and teams. In order to reduce confusion, we are removing the word “projects” from our spaces tab.
Deliver what you committed to, on time:
- Top-level dashboard to show the status of upcoming milestones.
- Upgrade the milestone views to make it easier to see what has been planned, what has been finished, whether there are any obstacles. Add optional budget and due date information. Add links to reports and cardwalls that will show the state of that milestone.
- Add reporting about status and obstacles to each milestone.
- Upgrade the milestone calendars that show upcoming milestones for a space or set of spaces.
- Add new List and Timeline (Gantt) views of the milestone calendar.
- Swim lanes to show the progress of epics and stories within each milestone.
- Discussion and cardwall for planning deliverables. We have found that some of our customers have created special ‘proposal spaces’ where they can discuss, plan, and budget upcoming deliverables. They use the ticket discussion threads, and the cardwall for showing the planning and delivery process. We will add special views for portfolio-level Kanban boards and discussions.
- Hosted customers can use SAML login (released recently), which allows them to centralize their user list, passwords, and permissions into their own SAML server.
- Private installations give larger customers complete control over their security environment. We have updated the private install and simplified installation and upgrades.
FUTURE- Import and link with other apps
Importing and linking will make it easy to:
- Keep your assets together for future maintenance and improvement, even if they come from teams, suppliers, and clients working on multiple systems.
- Track deliverables in all your projects.
For more control over these upgrades, please contact us in advance to become part of our customer advisory group. Send your comments, questions, and call requests to email@example.com.